State of the Game Stream Summary

Want to give Feedback on our blog-work or contribute yourself? Get started here!

PutzBoy78
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: State of the Game Stream Summary

Post by PutzBoy78 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 17:01

First off I think a nod is deserved to Foss and Julia for coming to this with an agenda. It certainly felt more organized and pre-thought than past streams. The slide show was a nice touch as well.

getting rid of the B stuff and going to 3 modules a year sounds like we are going back to our old schedule. Which I hope is a good thing because the break between content adds from mod 12 to mod 13 is just to long.

they've mentioned dusting off the old pvp map that was never released in the past. This certainly isn't new news but may give hope to those who are frustrated with pvp.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 20:20

I plan to write an opinion on the stream, which should cover some of the stuff you've mentioned. This was just a plain summary of the things they touched on.

I personally have a pretty long list of both pros and cons. I especially think rushing only three questions from chat in the last two minutes isn't ideal. You should first and foremost interact with the people that are there. That's why the Reddit AMA was such a success. People from the platform could get "their" questions answered. Of course that would require someone who can actually answer stuff on the fly, which Foss can not.

On Twitch there are a lot of streamers and their communities with their issues, concerns and questions. No matter what you think of KaliGold and the "more dungeons" gang, a stream on Twitch should cover that extensively. Why is it so hard to bring dungeons to the game? If players knew that, let's say, only 5% of the playerbase can reliably complete Tong at this point, they might understand that creating endgame content is creating stuff for a minority. I made that up, but just saying.

Funny that it's kinda like bringing in miasmat for an expert explanation, only that nobody cared about the Foundry, because its not a topic of interest on Twitch or in the endgame community. Julia had nothing on supporting streamers (other than a side blow to the rage faction) and Foss had nothing on dungeons.

Also, and that's a more general point, a "State of the Game" should cover more concrete stuff, both future and past. They did look back at last year, which was great, and also revealed some stuff that's going on behind the scenes. But everything is so hush-hush. "Can't talk", "Sorry", "Stay tuned". They always try to sell it as "industry standard behavior", but it really is not. Other studios are much more forthcoming with any kind of information. So the average AD per account has gone up? Give us the numbers! Is the game doing good? Relative to last year, are there more or less players playing? What are differences between platforms? Has the team's size gone up or down? This wasn't as much a state of the game as a regular monthly dev stream.

Which leads to my last point: This should happen a lot more frequently. Ok so Foss has a tight schedule, but why not bring in other devs for a monthly stream. That way you also don't have the pressure to cover *everything* within an hour, can make specialized streams (State of the Game, Dungeons, Balance, Systems, Foundry with miasmat, etc.), and also interact with the community a lot more. At this point I don't think you risk running out of stuff to talk about.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 20:34

somehow i doubt ad per account went up. They gave us some AD sinks that have surely consumed some of the ad in the environment including the zen events and realistically AD is capped per toon, so unless players have more toons they are playing, i'm not sure how that translates to more AD.

I think they are afraid to commit to anything, because they lack confidence that they can successfully complete anything. Also there are subjects which if they don't commit to getting it done, some people have said they will leave the game. So its better to not say anything than to confirm a bad thing.

In that building somewhere is a top 10 list for 2018 projects, that's what I'd like to see. But i get why they are closed lip about it.

*** in my consulting days I was brought in for a major IT project with a major corporation. I found their top 10 list for the year and my project wasn't on it. I immediately went back to the sales team and said they aren't ready for me/this. I will be the largest impact to their IT world this year and they don't even see us as top 10, get me out of here.

TheHappyLion
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by TheHappyLion » Wed Jan 31, 2018 23:18

I think there's simply a lot more interest in kissing the emperor's ring than making a great game. People are fed up with the developers. The level of communication with the community is still piss poor. Fixes supposedly made in October aren't seeing the light of day until several months later. People have lost patience. They're tired of babysitting. The game is a joke in the MMO world. Trying to explain the game to new players is a nightmare. I can't imagine trying the game from scratch at this point. Such a mess. The streams are a mess, because they are indicative of the game in general... a mess. From a marketing standpoint I think they put on a good show. The game seems like it'll be really fun. And then you start peeling the onion to discover this isn't the same game that you were suckered into thinking it was.

TL; DR Yay fashion tab!

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 04:03

I tend to believe they take Nov/Dec off, or at least go to minimal staffing so they didn't have the bandwidth to properly test Rocktober but fixes and post to live. Facing a holiday season they probably decided to combine the testing of module 13 with all the bug fixes. If you assume their test scripts are generic (and they must be because the testing is horrible). Combining the test cycles make sense.

TheHappyLion
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by TheHappyLion » Thu Feb 01, 2018 15:32

I am just highlighting, again, their lack of urgency in addressing issues. Certainly there are logistical reasons for delaying delivery. And I guess most players are satisfied enough merely with the idea of a big bug fixing campaign, as am I. But when you leave this momentum to stagnate for months, the natives are going to get restless or leave. Good timing for them perhaps, but bad timing for us. But with a new year comes a another opportunity to fuck it all up again. I'm sure they won't disappoint with yet another crew of noobs joining the team. Let's just hope we don't end up with more issues than we started with.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 15:59

I don't think people who left, left over bugs. I think the 7 months between content additions is what's most damaging. Which is why I hope going back to the 3 module a year approach is more effective at keeping the game fresh. I'm not saying the QOL improvements aren't nice, I just don't think they keep people playing.