Charles Randall: Devs Are Not More Candid Because the Gamer Culture Is So Toxic

Want to give Feedback on our blog-work or contribute yourself? Get started here!
j0Shi
Site Admin

Charles Randall: Devs Are Not More Candid Because the Gamer Culture Is So Toxic

Post by j0Shi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 14:20

"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

dupeks
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Re: Charles Randall: Devs Are Not More Candid Because the Gamer Culture Is So Toxic

Post by dupeks » Mon Sep 25, 2017 15:46

Haha excellent timing with the whole Naziwinter discussion.

silence1x
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Re: Charles Randall: Devs Are Not More Candid Because the Gamer Culture Is So Toxic

Post by silence1x » Mon Sep 25, 2017 16:19

Toxicity, both in-game and forums, is the direct result of the internet's anonymity. I'd wager a ridiculous amount of money that the same trolls that feel free to insult, argue and belittle others online would run away while wetting themselves if they had to say the same things to the actual person, face-to-face.

To me, these trolls are the equivalent of the driver that cuts you off in traffic and then won't look over at the next traffic light because they're afraid that they may make eye contact with you.

People suck, work through it.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 16:41

On thing I haven't mentioned in the article: Instead of turning away completely, maybe you should instead build an environment where you can exchange thoughts with the interested individuals. Otherwise this seems so black/white-ish. Community is toxic, see you. Why let a minority that can't behave get in the way? I think our lion said it best on Discord. A smart studio can involve the community without creating a toxic environment in the first place.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

TheHappyLion
Favorite Class: Control Wizard
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Post by TheHappyLion » Mon Sep 25, 2017 17:56

I think even in the most toxic of rants you are able to find something of redeeming critical value. A good community manager is one who can lead its team to see through the emotional noise and extract the essence of issues. Moreover, once the issues are heard, one must give feedback saying "this is what we hear you saying". I see this happening more than it used to, but I think one huge problem is that the volume of unresolved issues is growing. Where do you go when people are just fed up? One can only scream so loud about an issue in this medium. This is why I was hoping the streams would have brought more to the table than giveaways. Discussing real issues may not be fun and can definitely be boring but doing so is also necessary.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:12