Has The Console Version Saved PC Neverwinter?

Want to give Feedback on our blog-work or contribute yourself? Get started here!
j0Shi
Site Admin

Has The Console Version Saved PC Neverwinter?

Post by j0Shi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:24

"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

PutzBoy78
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: Has The Console Version Saved PC Neverwinter?

Post by PutzBoy78 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 18:58

under your logic that pc didn't need the consoles to survive, you could also argue that resources used to support console launches robbed PC of content development. Hear me out

If players left pc to go to console (and I know many that did) then their investment into console would have theoretically still been received on PC. In turn we don't spread the development staff thin porting the game and modules to two other platforms nor does the company need to invest the administrative overhead to console negotiations, communications, etc.

Those are resources that may have spent more time on the game itself, kept us on the 3 modules a year schedule (since it's now only 2) and would create and maintain more interest on PC.

You'd need a Business Analyst to run the numbers but I'd guess that a console launch runs at least one to two years before the investment gets into the black. Meaning only recently has the company even profited from this adventure meanwhile it sacrificed the player environment on pc to do it. You could even argue that the catastrophe that was module 6 could be correlated with a lack of resources due to preparing for xbox launch.

Of course we will never know how it went down behind the scenes but as much as their are claims that consoles saved pc, you can make a strong case that consoles were pc's undoing.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 19:34

Imho the term "undoing" is a bit strong though. I definitely agree with the interdependence though. You've mentioned PC to console migration or resource allocation. That's why I personally would like to see platforms as servers of the same game.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

MinMax Fortytwo

Post by MinMax Fortytwo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 14:08

Aren't we just the testbed for consoles anyway?

I mean, PC Market is pretty open with tons of games that want to be played while consoles have a closed market with only a few games on it anyway.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 18:25

I think I see where your going with this. Unlike J0shi's article that says we are essentially quality assurance for the consoles. Your point being that pc is a marketing test bed for consoles.

In some ways I agree with you, PC offers cheaper development cost, more open environment for smaller game publishers to work in, and the lack of administrative overhead in negotiating/appeasing sony and microsoft. In PC its easier to try things out and see if it catches on. On the flip side is the demographic of pc gamers is way different than console. So it has to be considered in the variances of results, but I'm sure they have marketing experts for that.

Perhaps PC is more of the throwing shit against the wall philosophy. O look Neverwinter stuck, lets port it to console.... but then again WOW has yet to make it console and look at its market share. In contrast to that you have GTA which was PC and now is more console oriented. Even have rockstar making games that only release on console now (Red Dead Redemption) or games that are obviously targeted for console and ported into PC (Bully & LA Noir). Perhaps PC is more a testing bed for game publishers than the games themselves?