Fixing The Neverwinter Dungeons: Malabog's Castle

Want to give Feedback on our blog-work or contribute yourself? Get started here!
j0Shi
Site Admin

Fixing The Neverwinter Dungeons: Malabog's Castle

Post by j0Shi » Fri May 13, 2016 20:48

"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

PutzBoy78
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: Fixing The Neverwinter Dungeons: Malabog's Castle

Post by PutzBoy78 » Sat May 14, 2016 14:36

I may be alone in this but I think more than the boss fights need to be addressed. Like there should be some reason to check out the second hallway and some reward for fighting the adventurer party. It doesn't need to be great, but maybe something like a unique transmute, unlock a rare emote like the Iliyanbruen salute, or maybe a cosmetic item. Nothing game breaking but something fun for people to explore and participate in this dungeon. I really like MC, I remember when it was near impossible without a super high geared party and everyone had to glitch the second and third boss. It fell apart quickly however as it was overpowered in just one mod.

The spawn for the third boss needs to be fixed. No more long walks for people who leave and new people enter at boss. No more long walks for those who die at second boss.

BTW the trick on the second boss used to be to pull him behind the column in the corner next to the entrance. This would also prevent some of the mobs from being engaged in the fight. On the third boss you can still use pots/altars next to the door because its outside of combat range for the flying part or stand under the cliff so valindra can't hit you. These are tricks that unfortianete low ilvl players never get to learn because when they play with a seasoned player, its just a dps race.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Sat May 14, 2016 16:24

Adventure Party is a good hint. That's an asset that absolutely has to have more relevance.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

chemjeff
Favorite Class: Great Weapon Fighter

Post by chemjeff » Sun May 15, 2016 00:14

Gotta disagree with the proposed changes.

Solo queue for this dungeon with an IL 1.6k character with only a couple of boons, and tell me that it wasn't a struggle. And if it wasn't, I guarantee that the only reason was because of some 3k monster carrying the team, not because the dungeon itself was too easy.

PutzBoy78
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric

Post by PutzBoy78 » Sun May 15, 2016 04:55

I don't think the dungeons were ever initially designed for solo queue by all minimum ilvls. At minimum ilvls it should be achievable but require class balancing making solo queues near impossible. But yes a dungeon should be doable by a premade of minimum ilvls (not counting the utility enchants); however, higher ilvls only grant you flexibility in team composition. A conq gf at 1.6 or a right dc at 1.6 will not work. In a 1.6 party you need a protector, a clutch healer, a controller (or 2), and a single target dps monster for bosses.

I can recall at lower ilvls when we used to have a tr solo the pk boss while the rest of us had to battle the mobs. It required balance and that's what should be expected for minimum ilvl parties and not advisable for pug queue.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Sun May 15, 2016 15:24

I want to answer some of the posts here and the blog. I would like to reiterate that I believe such changes would not add to the item level requirements, but to the overall needed skill level. If 1,600 struggled, they'll still do, but not more than in the current version. If unskilled players didn't struggle, they will and that's intended, because the dungeon no longer is able to be sleepwalked by pure DPS and high item levels.

If you're skilled and organized, you should have even less trouble with the Portals, Valindra and the AoE damage of the first and second boss.

I also agree that you shouldn't base the difficulty off the solo queue. T1 and T2 dungeons are end-game and should be tackled by groups. The game has plenty of solo content in the campaigns and the leveling dungeons, which grant full daily ADs by the way. Also some skirmishes are easy enough to be pugged.

But I like that there's a lively discussion, because that's what posts should create.