Guild Wars 2 (Free to play)

OT discussions about games other than Neverwinter.
BHunter
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Guild Wars 2 (Free to play)

Post by BHunter » Sat Sep 26, 2015 13:38

I just found that Guild Wars 2 is now free to play (because they are releasing an expansion). I would love to hear anyone's review of it from a free to play perspective.
I've been hanging around here without playing for quite a while now and things sadly only seem to get worse. I thought the switch to Andy/StrumSlinger was a brilliant move & he's doing a great job, but patch decisions concerning ADs as of late has been very detrimental.. I hope NW devs will be able to pick it back up somehow.

Anyways, for GW2, there are restrictions that come with free account, but I think most are minimal except for these 2:
Guild Wars 2 wrote:Currency Exchange: Gems to gold exchange available, gold to gems exchange unavailable.
Trading Post: Can buy and sell items from a selected list.
I actually have never played this game before. Is anyone able to compare impact of these 2 limitations to Neverwinter?
Like are Gems like ZEN & Gold like Astral Diamonds? or Gems are Astral Diamonds & Gold is like Neverwinter Gold?

Source: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/959 ... 1443271248

billyboy
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Re: Guild Wars 2 (Free to play)

Post by billyboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:02

I've been playing a ftp guild wars 2 account for a couple of weeks. On balance. I like it, probably enough to buy the expansion (which unlocks the whole game too).

The ftp restrictions are not too bad. You are correct that GW gems are like NW zen so the restriction means that you cannot use the equivalent of the ZAX to convert gold into gems to spend in-store but you don't really need anything from that store. The biggest restriction is on the number of bags you can equip. The ftp limit means there is always pressure on your inventory. It's not a show stopper but it does require constant management. Also you only get two char slots. Not a problem for me but might be for someone who wants one of each class.

Combat is a little clunkier than NW but that is the only downside. The explorables look fantastic, the maps are huge, the software is stable and there is loads to do.

A major difference is the approach to quests. No longer do you speak to someone, do a task then return to them for the reward. In GW you wander into an area and a task appears in the corner of the screen. You are free to wander off or to do the task. So they are a bit like Heroic Encounters in NW but much more varied. It's all very fluid and organic.

So I think I am currently in transition between the games. I'm logging in to NW daily but only to open a VIP box, invoke and prod some professions. After that I jump into GW and, you know, actually play the game! Maybe mod 8 will give me a reason to get back into NW but I think it is unlikely.

I'd say try GW2 and see what you think. It'll cost you a few GB of download and some playing time.
Also, try Skyforge if you are looking for another option. I didn't take to it but it seemed well put together.

Finally, I'll leave you with this. You know in NW when there is a bug in an event that means that rewards are broken/missing/reduced and the chat and forums go crazy with complaining and there is a deafening silence from anyone official? Well a similar problem happened in GW2 on my first weekend of playing except that just after the event was finished my toon received a mail containing the missing rewards and there was an official apology on the forum. It's not rocket science but I'm so conditioned to the NW "tell 'em nothing" approach that I was proper surprised.

DB_Jones

Post by DB_Jones » Mon Sep 28, 2015 15:54

I played it a bit, it's a large game for sure. A single area is bigger then all the available content in NWO combined.
That might of been why I went back to NWO temporarily. It's friggin massive, I got lost and didn't know what to do next some days.

Boards are nicely done, story seemed good to me. Personal story stuff is cool. The combat is a bit more clunky then NWO, which was mentioned already.

etelgrin
Favorite Class: Scourge Warlock
Preferred Gametype: PVP

Post by etelgrin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 08:40

Hey, sorry for the necro.

Are there people interested in forming a guild to play together, experience the content and as a final set up be a PvPer and excel in it. I'm not familiar with the guild improvement system and whether it requires some sort of influence or unbearable grind if any at all to stay competitive but this is just a startup point from where we would start.

I play NW PvP since mod 1 with breaks and not all time on BiS levels, in fact, I was never really BiS unless on PTR shard. Same two maps, with the other two maps being pretty much more or less dead and current balance and actual imbalance coming with Sea of Moving Ice, I thought, perhaps its time to change the game if the game is not willing to improve the experience for its dedicated players rather than sinking more into it, I could still be doing AH and check a mod or class if they release it, but for the fun and enjoyement of PvP I liked what I seen in guild wars but I'm yet to determine my final words on it when I get to endgame content actually to judge.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » Wed Oct 12, 2016 13:34

If you can't create your guild, but still interested in exploring the game, our guild has a chapter on GW2 (look for newoutriders).

You could always join and have a feel to the guild atmosphere, then judge if you want to create your own or not.

Just giving you alternatives

MerliniPoutine
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric

Post by MerliniPoutine » Wed Oct 12, 2016 22:36

I don't know the actual state of the game but back in the days, GW2 PVP was probably the most competitive PVP you could find in any recent MMO.
With real cash prizee and tournament promoted by arenanet (the devs).
If you want to pvp seriously on a mmo you should try it, there is no grind, you can make a PVP char and had acces to all pvp items instantly.

silence1x
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by silence1x » Tue Sep 05, 2017 13:47

anyone looking at the new GW2 expansion?

STSchiff

Post by STSchiff » Tue Sep 05, 2017 13:59

Just started the game last week, guess i'll play through the existing content first, but after that i might go for the expansion aswell.

Silverkelt

Post by Silverkelt » Fri Sep 08, 2017 15:44

I just started this week, we will see how long it holds my attention or not.. lvl 18 this morning.. what i like is the scroll log and the different attuntments and stuff, however, its actually a bit long in the tooth to level..

combat isnt the same.. but its still kind of fun.. not as good as neverwinter, but better then some other games recently tried.

TheHappyLion
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by TheHappyLion » Fri Sep 08, 2017 18:35

I tried GW2 on a ranger, which was fun to play. Got to level 35 and found out that no one wants a ranger for end-game. So I stopped. They throw a ton of xp boosters at you for free, which seemed counterintuitive to me. Advice I hear is to not get overly obsessed with the heart quests and just explore, which is fine. But it seems aimless. I got bored with it. I tried to get engaged with the story although I'm not much of a story person, and it bored me.

STSchiff

Post by STSchiff » Sun Sep 10, 2017 14:16

It got a far better auctioning system then Neverwinter IMO tho. Like a ZAX for every item, you see demand and supply and can chose where to place your item/offer or to instantly sell/buy it.

Silverkelt

Post by Silverkelt » Thu Nov 09, 2017 20:51

Well, I have spending most of my Game time on GW2 as of late.. got my elementelist to 80, have all the my core specializations, and finished tempest, working on weaver now. Started my HoT masteries (have my glider and mount open)

I threw down 50 dollars to get the two packages (hot and path of fire) , you can earn a mastery or two a day, depending on your play time. Most of the masteries are not that necessary for game play, they just open up different areas, give different advantages. But they are not power based items, they dont per se open up more damage or anything it appears.

How I would rate GW2 vs neverwinter.

1. Combat, its fair, its better then alot of mmos (its even better then Tera imo, which some people like, I thought it was stupid. Its not as good as neverwinter.. but its better then any of the old mmos Ive played.

2. Alt play.. not even close.. GW2 hand down, I used to like neverwinter alt play.. but get this.. once you unlock a mastery once , its unlock on your account, I now can whip out any new toon and its automatically has a glider and mount open.. I dont have redo masteries again and again. In fact I can use alts to speed up the process, as not every mastery point is easy to get.

3. Specilizations builds.. hard to compare.. I knew more or less what to use in never-winter for the last 2-3 years on several different classes, Im still trying to get the hang of my Main i started with in GW2.. but put it this way, my elemenatlist has 16 powers open through 4 attunements, 4 overloads with tempest specilization , you get totally separate powers depending on what weapons you use. So a Staff build is totally different then a Dagger/horn build, there is also scepters and focus, with Weaver build you can use a sword on it as well.

4. Heroic Encounters vs Special events.. hands down GW2 does this right, you move different areas, sometimes you might use different equipment, travel different areas, you might trigger one to go to another. In HOT area, its even better, there is a meta events, so once you start triggering the story through special events, it keeps going , until you get to the end. It is also the fastest way to level up your masteries, and they can be actually fun. There is MORE mechanics involved in half of these , then in neverwinter old stuff alone.

5. Dungeons.. Raids ect.. frankly I like neverwinter dungeons.. and since I prefer neverwinter combat.. I still think I like neverwinter dungeons better, There is a raid system in GW2, locked through the mastery system, I dont have open yet.. so I cant comment. Dungeons are ok, but I havent tried them all , frankly HOT meta events are more fun atm to me. Maybe once I get deeper into the game I will understand them better. I have only tried the bottom 3-4 dungeons so far.

6. Latency.. Ive had very little lag in GW2.. even with evnts of 40 or so people at once.. so again GW2 does it right.

7. Graphics.. GW2.. full graphics all the time, no latency.. they are comparable really, but since I can see like 40 peoples effects at once without slowing my game play down , I will go with GW2.

I might post some videos at some point.

I dont know how long Ill play this, but right now its pretty fun.

HarrisDel
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by HarrisDel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55

I was so close to getting into the Path of Fire expansion. Is anyone still playing? How's the player base holding up?

Silverkelt

Post by Silverkelt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05

I am , but im getting burnt out.. Im to the point now that I have to either grind really boring things for mastery points, or buy old living seasons to get enough to progress there.

I have a # of exotic gear outs and even some ascended gear and even a ascended weapon now.. but to get to legendary. is a bit off putting..

I have the 3 regular mounts now, but to get to griffon is a lot of gold grinding and event grinding.. its doable.. but after I started the process , I am reluctant to keep grinding it out. With the springer mount it can get you anywhere you need to be in game anyways, the second expansion is better then the first honestly, but Ive played through all the storylines now. There actually isnt that much there to them.

Ive done most of the regular dungeons now, but havent done fractals, nor can I open up raids I could do lower tier fractals but havent bothered.

the game is a big weird, frankly every expansion makes the game worst, because you need alot of people to defeat meta events and by having the game population split, it makes for a worse gaming world.

So its either a boat load of grinding to keep going, not really difficult, just time gating it appears, or try out pvp or wvw , I might give it a spin.

Im a big bogged down in the game at moment, I havent decided yet if I will continue or just find some sort of single player game to play for awhile and see if any new games catch my fancy.

The idea of doing the same or nearly the same thing for months on end to get the gold and events done I need, doesnt hold much for me.