Well, I have spending most of my Game time on GW2 as of late.. got my elementelist to 80, have all the my core specializations, and finished tempest, working on weaver now. Started my HoT masteries (have my glider and mount open)
I threw down 50 dollars to get the two packages (hot and path of fire) , you can earn a mastery or two a day, depending on your play time. Most of the masteries are not that necessary for game play, they just open up different areas, give different advantages. But they are not power based items, they dont per se open up more damage or anything it appears.
How I would rate GW2 vs neverwinter.
1. Combat, its fair, its better then alot of mmos (its even better then Tera imo, which some people like, I thought it was stupid. Its not as good as neverwinter.. but its better then any of the old mmos Ive played.
2. Alt play.. not even close.. GW2 hand down, I used to like neverwinter alt play.. but get this.. once you unlock a mastery once , its unlock on your account, I now can whip out any new toon and its automatically has a glider and mount open.. I dont have redo masteries again and again. In fact I can use alts to speed up the process, as not every mastery point is easy to get.
3. Specilizations builds.. hard to compare.. I knew more or less what to use in never-winter for the last 2-3 years on several different classes, Im still trying to get the hang of my Main i started with in GW2.. but put it this way, my elemenatlist has 16 powers open through 4 attunements, 4 overloads with tempest specilization , you get totally separate powers depending on what weapons you use. So a Staff build is totally different then a Dagger/horn build, there is also scepters and focus, with Weaver build you can use a sword on it as well.
4. Heroic Encounters vs Special events.. hands down GW2 does this right, you move different areas, sometimes you might use different equipment, travel different areas, you might trigger one to go to another. In HOT area, its even better, there is a meta events, so once you start triggering the story through special events, it keeps going , until you get to the end. It is also the fastest way to level up your masteries, and they can be actually fun. There is MORE mechanics involved in half of these , then in neverwinter old stuff alone.
5. Dungeons.. Raids ect.. frankly I like neverwinter dungeons.. and since I prefer neverwinter combat.. I still think I like neverwinter dungeons better, There is a raid system in GW2, locked through the mastery system, I dont have open yet.. so I cant comment. Dungeons are ok, but I havent tried them all , frankly HOT meta events are more fun atm to me. Maybe once I get deeper into the game I will understand them better. I have only tried the bottom 3-4 dungeons so far.
6. Latency.. Ive had very little lag in GW2.. even with evnts of 40 or so people at once.. so again GW2 does it right.
7. Graphics.. GW2.. full graphics all the time, no latency.. they are comparable really, but since I can see like 40 peoples effects at once without slowing my game play down , I will go with GW2.
I might post some videos at some point.
I dont know how long Ill play this, but right now its pretty fun.