Scammers

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
instynctive
Favorite Class: Great Weapon Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Scammers

Post by instynctive » Wed Jul 15, 2015 16:52

Because this will get deleted over there:

"Be Aware with the advent of strongholds and people joining your guild!"
Scammer1.JPG
Scammer1.JPG (110.55 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
And my own contribution to that thread:
Sscammer2.JPG
Sscammer2.JPG (26.5 KiB) Viewed 5905 times

While yes, this should be common sense, etc., I know people still get "taken" by it. I had contacted PW regarding the scammer that stole a great deal of things from our Guild bank, and they told me "thanks for letting us know, but for privacy reasons, we can't tell you the outcome." sort of thing. Two months later, the same person asked for a guild invite. I declined them, and they went down through the list of people online with invite privileges.

Then again about a month later.

Unbelievable.

Anyway... back to your regular programming.

beckylunatic
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric

Re: Scammers

Post by beckylunatic » Wed Jul 15, 2015 17:55

Well, since naming and shaming is actively encouraged, here are some to watch out for.

@pedalnaczelny
Main character appears to be Simmi, but will cycle through begging for invites on a number of alts as well. I always call out this guy in chat when I see him. Seems to go away for months at a time and come back hoping people will have forgotten him. Buggers off when publicly called out.

Xplay@xplay3tv is just about as notorious as pedalnaczelny, but doesn't seem to do the alt trick.

Ones I've heard about but can't recall ever being pestered by in person
@ciomek61 (As we see in the above capture. He's also pulled this with someone not realizing he was claiming to be her husband.)
@eveil11
@kefeystos (I think the toon is called Magic, but I'm trying all kinds of spelling and capitalization variants and Gateway isn't finding them)

I also ran into a toon called something like Bank Thief and had a little chat with them while they spammed zone with requests for invites. They wouldn't actually come out and tell me if they were robbing people who invited them or just doing a public service warning stunt, but they did suggest that anyone who blindly invites "Bank Thief" deserves what they get, so I'm guessing their intentions were not honorable.
"no logs, only fix"

instynctive
Favorite Class: Great Weapon Fighter

Post by instynctive » Wed Jul 15, 2015 19:37

beckylunatic wrote:but they did suggest that anyone who blindly invites "Bank Thief" deserves what they get, so I'm guessing their intentions were not honorable.

That is the funniest thing I've read all day. lol

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic » Wed Jul 15, 2015 19:53

While I was talking to the person known only as Bank Thief, I saw them join multiple guilds (social menu lookup: find person). I suspect I might have been the only person who sat down to question them. Not to screen for an invite, mind you, just to see if they were willing to talk about what they were doing.

I know there are plenty of guilds that feel comfortable inviting randoms because they think their bank security settings are protecting them, but those aren't entirely safe either. One my my guildie's accounts was hacked and one of her compromised characters was able to clean out a guild bank tab, far beyond what her rank permissions should have allowed. I checked them afterwards and everything looked like what happened should have been impossible. Most unfortunate.
"no logs, only fix"

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic » Fri Jul 31, 2015 16:51

I got a PM from good old Simmi last night asking to be invited to a guild, but it turns out they already have me on ignore from some other time I've told them to take a long walk off a short pier.

Hilarious. That means they can't see when I broadcast a warning to zone chat that Pedalthief is up to old tricks. Which I always do.
"no logs, only fix"

silence1x
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by silence1x » Mon Aug 03, 2015 14:04

beckylunatic wrote:Xplay@xplay3tv is just about as notorious as pedalnaczelny, but doesn't seem to do the alt trick.
This lowlife was invited to one of the 'cloaks guilds, convinced a member to elevate his privs ("Hey this is so-and-so on a new account. rank me up 'bro") and raided the bank. I believe they are still waiting to hear from support but not holding their breath.

This individual is deserving of a lifetime ban from Cryptic as well as a local meet-up to accost him repeatedly. I have no patience for POS's like this.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 14:26

Yeah my old guild had two incidents

1) someone got invited and raided by a guy spamming PE zone chat. Apparently a tab wasn't as secure as the guild leader thought

2) guild leader got hacked, the hacker raided the bank.

In both cases support said they couldn't do anything. They said they couldn't even tell who all the stolen goods got transferred to (most likely mail).

So yeah, ended up having to replenish the guild coffers from our own pockets. I personally donated 5 of every shard to the bank to get the shard started back again. Like two weeks later the guild leader was on his period and kicked about half the guild for various reasons (including me for "not playing the right way"). Of course those donations were kept... douche

silence1x

Post by silence1x » Mon Aug 03, 2015 17:35

I feel certain that there is an audit trail somewhere in that database. As to whether or not CS reps have access to it, I don't know.

If there is not an audit trail on the database, Cryptic needs to hire a competent DBA. No audit trails is a serious design flaw.

FRISH
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by FRISH » Mon Aug 03, 2015 17:45

PutzBoy78 wrote: In both cases support said they couldn't do anything. They said they couldn't even tell who all the stolen goods got transferred to (most likely mail).
One step further than that, when my alt got raided for his zen, ad and some event items I gave them a time that the guild log mentioned was raided. They said they couldn't even find that someone else had accessed my address. The email to that account said it had been accessed from someone in china, though I also had account guard disabled at the time since it was being annoying. On the plus side though I had a bunch of ancient items on another characters guild bank including some worth 100k or so and a bunch of leadership assets were kept so I managed to still build up my army. But really, they couldn't see any evidence of a compromise?

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 20:56

Have to imagine they could track it down if they really wanted to. But I've always been told that the bank is something they don't keep records on.

silence1x

Post by silence1x » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:40

PutzBoy78 wrote:Have to imagine they could track it down if they really wanted to. But I've always been told that the bank is something they don't keep records on.
Personal bank - they can restore items.

Shared bank - for whatever reason, they won't/can't (at least that's how it was mentioned once on the old forums).

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 23:12

I say won't, because they do not want to share liability in the security of your guild bank. With personal banks they at least control the security mechanic.

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic » Tue Aug 04, 2015 23:38

I was under the impression that the usual CS response to hacking is rolling back characters, which is why items in your shared bank and mail are also not "insured".

But I had a guildie get hacked a while back and she said they restored items that were on her character but not in her personal bank.
"no logs, only fix"

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 15:12

This is info the was passed on to me to add to the list.

@kacper829 - word is that he robbed at least 3 different guild vaults

Pasted from zone chat: Beware Zap@colink2 is online he is a scammer he will tell you that he will upgrade your enchantments but he won't return it don't invite him in your guild he is a good talker.

I've seen complaints about the second name before. The first one is unfamiliar to me.
"no logs, only fix"

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 02:09

Who the F would give a stranger enchantments to upgrade for them?

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic » Thu Aug 06, 2015 17:06

I assume that targetted individuals are pretty much the same segments of the population as would be vulnerable to any scam... the young, the old, the inexperienced with adages of "trust noone".

(Also, it's very difficult for people who would never rip anyone off to adapt to the mindset that there are people who are hellbent on ripping them off.)
"no logs, only fix"

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 17:08

Isn't society grand

silence1x

Post by silence1x » Thu Aug 06, 2015 18:22