Scammers

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
lowjohn
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: Scammers

Post by lowjohn » Sun May 27, 2018 14:58

New scammer for the list: Gabina@datodato12#6016

Tried to rob the guild bank of Corrupted.

Shadowblade
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by Shadowblade » Sat Aug 25, 2018 16:54

Talking of Scams, what's the deal with people selling Blackdagger Gold Coins for up to 100k AD each? They can be used only for old Seals or really rubbish gear caches from the local Bounty Hunters.

One guy was announcing how chuffed he was that he undercut some other guy by several million, by charging "only" 4.5 million for 72 coins. Until I explained that they have no value or use and the other guy is probably either trying to scam the unwary or buy AD for cash from a Gold Spammer.

I've not checked out all the other currencies, but as far as I am aware the only ones with any actual in-game value or worth are:

Formorian Concoctions in Sharandar
Onyx Fragments in Dread Ring
Kessel's Sigils in Icewind Dale

as they can be used to buy currencies for Boons and/or making keys for the lairs in Sharanadar, Dread Ring and IWD. Also the level 345 gear, which is BtA and levels with you from 61 to 70.

I collected all mine together and have thousands, so my latest character just bought enough Crescents to get the first two boons before even unlocking the middle gate in the Feywild.

:x
:shock:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a HAMSTER! man in possession of a good HAMSTER!, must be in want of a QUACK!"
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen (1775–1817)

Good to see forum censorship never makes things look worse then they actually were to start with.

:roll:

Mr.Linux
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by Mr.Linux » Mon Aug 27, 2018 22:36

I am not sure I would call this a "scam" just a buyer beware sort of thing. I was online this weekend and asked where I could get more companion tokens to top off what I didn't spend on my companion already. Someone told me about a pack sold in the AH. However they all sell 45 tokens 750K AD. It takes 90 tokens or 500,000 AD to upgrade blue to purple. Two of these packs come to 1,500,000 AD.

I looked in the zen store and they are purchased in a bundle with bonding stone, slots, etc.. For 750K AD, I could convert that to zen and buy the bundle. So these people selling the pack from the bundle (assuming someone can't do the math) then reinvest the AD into another bundle and break it open to sell off the contents.

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade » Tue Aug 28, 2018 01:26

One could argue that all scams are just "Buyer Beware". But this smells like a scam to me.

It's like obsolete Mod 2 stuff from Valindra and Malabog for making what are now incredibly weak weapons, and people charge millions as if they are Uber-BIS. Then another account puts some up at half the price, making it look like a bargain.

Same with putting 100 Blackdagger Gold Coins up for 5 million AD, then using another account to post 100 at 2 or 3 million.

I'm not sure if this guy was actually trying to scam or if he just thought he'd picked up something genuinely valuable. He asked me if I wanted his coins, so I explained they were worthless but the Sharandar, Dread Ring and IWD stuff had actual uses for Boons, keys etc.

After a while he just replied: "Thanks for the info".

I hope he had VIP and didn't lose his posting fee.

:)
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a HAMSTER! man in possession of a good HAMSTER!, must be in want of a QUACK!"

Good to see forum censorship never makes things look worse then they actually were to start with.

Mr.Linux
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by Mr.Linux » Tue Aug 28, 2018 15:24

I see these campaign completion tokens both in the AH and in the Zen store. I don't know when they introduce this $100 Campaign Bundle but a person could convert 5,000,000 AD into 10,000 zen to pick that up, break it down and make a profit. But those are actually useful items. Whereas the crap campaign currency is like you said, no real value. I think the necro currency can be traded for a bag of profession items at the merchant in the graveyard. But I could also just place the bags on the AH just as easy.

This new area Ravenloft has some potential issue I am now aware of; The tarot cards collected by the players are being sold or traded via mail. Apparently the trade menu says "Player X has no room for this item" when you try to use the trade system. There was a player in chat claiming they would pay 1 GMoP for a particular card. When asked, he said trade by mail was a secure method. I would never blind trust an unknown player to hand off anything via mail. I don't know if he was that desperate or just delusional, but I didn't have the card he wanted anyway. If they plan to repair the trade system, decks will be completed much quicker. If they plug up the mail system, it will make creating a deck more difficult than it already is now.

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade » Wed Aug 29, 2018 02:15

Yes, there's a huge difference between selling Zen items (or parts of bundles) acquired in Sales at a reasonable AD profit vs selling worthless junk as if it's valuable. People with no time or patience can choose to buy part of a bundle for AD or wait for the ZAX and get it for Zen or whatever. Always cross-check prices from all sources. I think Greater Bags of Holding cost more in AD now than they have done for years, but are still cheaper than the list price of 1000 Zen or 500,000 AD. But probably fetch more than they cost during Jubilee. But I've not bought a bag since they made them BoE.

I don't think you can trade currencies for Professions items, but there is a quest line in Neverdeath that awards a Professions cache, and two in the Sword Coast Chronicles; one that give a full set of Green Tools and another a full set of Green Craftsmen (except Black Ice Shaping).

I sold a load of green Man-at-Arms for a daft price. I felt quite guilty when I realised. I posted them at what the AH suggested, and it was a lot more for four Green than the cost of a single blue Adventurer. But those AH prices almost never match reality. And the Professions Starter/Booster packs, well, the Zen price of those is just a scam, anyway.

:(

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade » Wed Aug 29, 2018 02:28

Oh, another official Scam, those new Refiner's Caches in the Zen Market.

Has anyone done a breakdown of the AD cost on the AH of the paltry rank 7 enchant, 2 blue Greater Enchanting Stones (of which I have thousands from Leadership, Invoking etc) and 3 Blood Rubies?

And the drop rates of each category?

I'm sure the average drop from those things is not worth 200,000 AD (400 Zen). I think that the only way those things would be worth anywhere near the cost is if they removed Blood Rubies, guaranteed 2 of the more rare RP gems +1 even more rare, a rank 9 exotic enchant and 2 Superior Enchanting Stones.

This is what causes the Bad Taste with PWE: the abundant evidence that their entire business model seems to be based on:

a) chumping those who know no better with absolutely clear-cut rip-offs;

b) feeding a gambling addiction, as eventually something half-decent might drop, like a Rank 12 Ruthless and an Ultimate Enchanting Stone.

At least the undying shamefulness of chumping newbies with 3 Blood Rubies for 2000 Zen is gone. That would not even get a weapon set to Legendary. But now we have Refiner's Cache and Insignia Packs...

:x

lowjohn

Post by lowjohn » Sat Sep 01, 2018 01:42

I thought this thread was mostly for "players who are attempting to rob you" and not "hey I think this non-robbery is overpriced"?

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade » Sat Sep 01, 2018 04:27

Well, it's about Scammers.

Scammers are the same as Con Men, IE liars, cheats and frauds. This thread has focused mostly on players, but PWE are the worst Scammers of the lot.

"Robbery" is not simply "theft" per se. Robbery is theft with threat, intimidation and/or violence. EG, mugging. Burglary, or Burglerizonificationalization if you are American, is not robbery. It's sneaking/breaking into a property when the occupier/owner is sleeping or absent and taking stuff away. o_O

I just hoped someone could give me a side-link, as it were.

So you don't have a link to a break down of drop rates and in-game "value" of Refiner's and Insignia packs? I thought Unblogged had done some but I can't seem to find them now.

Cheers!