PC Dice-rolling challenge

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
Daze
Favorite Class: Trickster Rogue
Preferred Gametype: PVP

Dice-rolling challenge

Post by Daze » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:50

Hi,

In an alternative universe, long time ago, there was a funny web-browser game called "Sword Coast Adventures" playable in Neverwinter Gateway platform.

I would like to try to make a game on the same model (but simpler) to learn the code with a fun goal in mind (I need it to motivate me). Would anyone have any advice on the way to go ?

Sorry if it's not the good place to ask this.

STSchiff
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: Dice-rolling challenge

Post by STSchiff » Mon Mar 05, 2018 13:24

I'd suggest to take a look at Unity. You can make games with it and compile them to different platforms like windows or web (html5), afaik.

https://www.youtube.com/user/quill18creates

has some educating and entertaining tutorials for it, iirc even for a board game with dice rolls, so you could learn a lot there.

Daze

Post by Daze » Mon Mar 05, 2018 18:36

Thanks a lot !

TheHappyLion
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by TheHappyLion » Mon Mar 05, 2018 18:59

I think that was Schicoff's baby. Maybe ask him.

Mr.Linux

Post by Mr.Linux » Tue Mar 06, 2018 00:29

Scott Schicoff is the one who burnt it down. I think I have the very old source code from the game floating around here someplace. It all depends on how much time you want to invest and what program model you want to use. Unity would not be my first recommendation, since you are just looking at a simple 2D web browser based script. If you really desire to remake it, from scratch, you could just learn some Java and real basic web scripting. I will look for the original coding and see if that will assist you.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 07:38

I'm pretty sure the original Gateway (and SCA) was set up purely in Javascript (node.js). As Mr. Linux said the source code would be a good place to start, I can sure dig it up if you like.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

Daze

Post by Daze » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23

I'm open to all options.

But Javascript should be the most interesting path if possible cause i work on another project using it (an ethereum project) but not on the code side.

Original source code would be a huge help for sure !

For now i'm only a html/css/php user, but i like to learn.

Mr.Linux

Post by Mr.Linux » Fri Mar 09, 2018 14:26

Sorry got busy, here is the file link: SCA - minigame This is very old version. Had I known what Cryptic had planned to do I would have tried my best get more up to date code.

In this zip file you will have folders;
Night-->Game-->SCA
This path is where a lot of the old dice tosser is held.

It is non functional, because there is too much pointing to servers, that no longer contain the data, or have no access to your account data. Poke about in there you will see most of the code files are JSPP. JSPP is an untyped, java-like scripting language designed to be embedded in applications. You can read this with any text editor.

Daze

Post by Daze » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:49

Thanks a lot !