Farewell...

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
j0Shi
Site Admin

Farewell...

Post by j0Shi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 00:15

I'm gonna hit on the subject in a blog post at some point next week, but wanted to share in advance that my main account got banned permanently last Tuesday and I have no plans continuing the game like I used to with another account.

After a short exchange with the support last week to get to know ban reason and duration, I made another attempt today to see whether it's possible to get the account back and I take them closing my tickets without responding as a no.

The official reason is botting and I was indeed stupid enough to run the first versions of our crawlers from my personal IP and temporarily even through my main account. Talking to a few people it seems this was an isolated investigation of my account, because there are no signs I got hit in something like a ban wave. So either someone reported me or they specifically targeted my account. In both scenarios I think it's safe to say that the ban is closely tied to me being the public face of this site.

Although I knew the risks, it's kind of a weird ending of my Neverwinter time. I still have access to enough ADs to continue my RNG and other tests and I will continue to contribute to the site as a coder, but this marks the end of me as an active player and all blog posts related to it.

Cheers!
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

puddles
Favorite Class: Great Weapon Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: Farewell...

Post by puddles » Thu Aug 06, 2015 00:18

that sucks. i am so sorry to hear that.

so what game are you going to next? Keep us informed.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 00:22

puddles wrote:that sucks. i am so sorry to hear that.

so what game are you going to next? Keep us informed.
I've always said that Neverwinter is my first and will be my last MMO and my opinion hasn't changed. I have lots of free time now :evil:
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

beckylunatic
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric

Post by beckylunatic » Thu Aug 06, 2015 00:33

That's unfortunate. Or maybe it's fortunate... for your free time.

Reminds me a bit of when Trace got banned for using the resonator exploit "just once to see if it worked".
"no logs, only fix"

BlackyLuke
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by BlackyLuke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 00:53

So... they there is a guy who does all the work for them in filtering and analyzing the economy, throwing out valuable information and media related to their game and as they take a look at his content and the help it even provides them and the benefit this player is to Neverwinter Online as a whole they realize: "Hey, a smart guy like that might have some dirt under his foot, he might be smart enought to use certain tools for him as he has shown to understand how others do it."
Well played Cryptic, your not the one who cuts of the branch he is sitting on. Nope your also not the one that shot himself in the foot. Your the real gangster that shot himself in the balls, because he wants to wear his gun like a cool guy.

CON-MOTHERFUCKING-GRATULATIONS

puddles

Post by puddles » Thu Aug 06, 2015 00:55

Thats why i didn't use my neverwinter login name over here. its just like them to come up with an excuse to ban someone.

if you wanted to get back in the game i'd fund you. couple Million AD. some artifacts and a 10-20M RP if you want it.

my main account is pretty SWAG.

potatoejim

Post by potatoejim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 01:19

congratulations. you are free from the torment. and no i am not joking or using sarcasm or anything. you will see that it feels different now that you dont play that stupid game. for me freedom came when they fucked us over with the account wide companions. nowdays only trolling the forums and warning other people as much as i can.

two31

Post by two31 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 01:26

My long-winded j0Shi anecdote:

I remember when Melodywhr started an edit war with you at the wiki over the RNG tests. That was a damn mess and I decided to go to sleep and hope it would be gone in the morning.

Of course, the mess was still there and I had to navigate between protecting your contributions which I considered useful, and avoiding getting myself in trouble. I had never had any contact with Cryptic, and was operating without any guidelines. (Unlike the forum mods, who had guidelines, but were often jerks.) So I reported Melodywhr's edit war to Sominator, and Sominator quit a week later and I got no help.

I was glad that nwo-uncensored popped up, because it gave you a platform for publishing information, and also meant I didn't have to protect you on the wiki. I don't really know you, you could be an exploiter or a toxic player, but I thought you made good contributions to the community's collective knowledge.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 01:36

Sorry man, wasn't one of my brightest moments. Melodywhr and I had pushed ourselves for quite some time and it escalated on the wiki. I definitely could and should have been more mature, but caught in the moment I actually quickly coded a javascript snippet that would check the page and automatically re-edit it every time melodywhr had deleted it.

Have said it already, but really glad you are in charge of the wiki.

Jumpin

Post by Jumpin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 01:56

Man, this just sucks... big time !

Really sorry to hear that. You did an awesome job with your blog/your contributions to this community.

What a bummer... :?

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 02:05

Yeah man that blows. Looks like i should change my name on this forum to be safe also....

bollocks

Enjoy not being here, go play some witcher 3 and represent the ones of us without expendable income :-(

FRISH
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by FRISH » Thu Aug 06, 2015 02:41

Bummer. I did have my leadership army account banned (did it manually though) for reselling rp. They did unban it after looking into it so there is hope depending on how you define that word. Either way good luck to you. I'm sure at some people there will be a great MMO with a better model depending whether you want to burn time, but it has been a learning experience for me too that just because a f2p starts off well, that it can't heavily deteriorate which I guess we should all take note in.

fedj
Favorite Class: Hunter Ranger

Post by fedj » Thu Aug 06, 2015 03:29

really sorry to hear this.. and i would put quite a large amount of $$$$ on it being this site and NOT 'botting' :)

W@RRIOR
Preferred Gametype: PVP

Post by W@RRIOR » Thu Aug 06, 2015 06:38

when they want ban easily they said you are botting !!
a friend have the same and he never botting.

the fact is they can't tell wich program you use for botting so they can't proove it.

silence1x
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter

Post by silence1x » Thu Aug 06, 2015 14:01

Very uncool. I wonder who will be next?

Logray2015

Post by Logray2015 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 14:04

probably everyone they are able to pinpoint usernames from this site, i hope not, i really hope they are doing actual investigating, but i doubt that. Makes you wonder if they want to have the exploiters, undesirables in game. Just a thought

Logray2015

Post by Logray2015 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 14:06

Sorry to hear about the banning, sucks to hear that and the fact they wont even respond to you about it. That is pretty shitty customer service they have there.

puddles

Post by puddles » Thu Aug 06, 2015 14:08

but what a way to squash any dissent.

crush the leader of the movement and hope the others are less likely to say anything. so maybe they made an example of him to keep the rest of us in line. Let us know they could just make up any excuse they want to evict us from the game.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 14:25

Wait didn't strum just say that there wasn't an increase in botting?

"have not seen any significant increase in the botting of Leadership in-game"

Was that a double slap in the face. They don't feel your significant :( :( :(

Guinness

Post by Guinness » Thu Aug 06, 2015 14:52

I don't feel they have much of a handle on how much botting is going on but I also don't see a lot of regular gateway people turning to ingame botting because the home computer is probably not doing much else if you are running a virtual machine. Like obviously some will but the gateway script was the average joe way of getting ad.

I know of at least one other person who got banned for ingame profession botting. He made his own one but don't know if he really gave much of a shit about it, made it more out of irritation than long term intention.