Ugh, joined Reddit getting beat up

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
Mr.Linux
Favorite Class: Control Wizard
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Ugh, joined Reddit getting beat up

Post by Mr.Linux » Mon Jun 11, 2018 21:28

I posted this on Reddit and getting shot down by elitism...
New and Need Astral Diamonds? Kill a dragon!
I keep reading that some players are upset about the 100K cap next month on refining RAD (rough astral diamonds). I seriously doubt new players make 100K RAD a day. But if you need AD and are new a good way to start is by farming the dragon Charthraxis in Neverdeath Graveyard. Most players just attend to kill the dragon once and walk away with nothing more than a few coins and figure the dragon is a bust. Charthraxis can and does drop the following items; dragon cult pants 3,000 to 5,000 AD in the AH, dragon bone weapons (both main hand and off hand) the main hand weapons for most classes are running over 50K AD in AH.

A lot of level 70s came in bashing me saying this is a big waste of time and effort. They apparently missed that whole "New and..." part of my title.

So far did 10 runs a day per 2 characters and in one week roughly 140 dragons later, got 1 main hand weapon and 2 off hands plus 11 pairs of pants. Ten dragons takes about an hour or more depending on other players showing up to assist you. Maybe my drops would be higher, if I could do this alone? I know I didn't play over 20 hours for the week but I made over 74K AD (not RAD or BAD) in those 20 hours of play. All the random dungeons offer is RAD not straight AD. Doing the math it is slightly less than 4,000 per hour.

After this comment I was told there are much better ways to earn AD, then told invoking gets you AD.... no it gets you BAD to be converted to RAD. I respect opinions, but I want to know is there some "Holy of Holys" that I a mere mid 40 level player can obtain and sell in the AH? I don't see it and they are not telling me if it exists. Well I am done debugging this turd for now and I will be taking a break try to enjoy some outdoor activities.

Talk to you later!

CdnBison
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric

Re: Ugh, joined Reddit getting beat up

Post by CdnBison » Mon Jun 11, 2018 22:02

The time spent grinding at dragons at level 40 could be better spent getting to level 70, with a Wanderer's Fortune mount and Dragon Hoard enchant. Sell the RP that drops for you on the way to 70 if the random Queue AD isn't enough. Most of what players want to spend AD on is found in end-game stuff - G/SMOPs, Enchanting stones... or things that come from lockboxes (See: epic / legendary mounts or companions).

Stormshadow
Favorite Class: Hunter Ranger

Post by Stormshadow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 06:41

I read your reddit post and all of the responses that have not been deleted. I can see why you feel like you got beat up, but I also see why they reacted the way they did. I think they feel that you were giving bad advice to new players.

In the time you spent doing your Dragon harvest you could have leveled to 70 and had enough RP and AD to buy a set of chultan weapons and decent gear for when you hit 70 and leveled it to epic.

I know this because I have done it several times, and have helped several people in my guild do the same.

The developers of this game decided to increase the speed at which you get from level 1 to 70. You can level so quickly now that most of the content before level 70 is obsolete and outdated. You can literally just do random dungeons and skirmishes from the second they become available until you open the Elemental Evil and Sharandar campaigns. Chultan crafted weapons and gear are as good or flat out better than anything you can get from doing any content up to and including the River District. Sadly this is how the devs seem to want the game to be played.

Before the changes to leveling I made 4 clerics for invoking, professions and random dungeons. I bought them inscribed garments and a wanderer's fortune mounts from the zen store (account unlock) and put rank 7 azure enchants and one rank 5 quartermaster's enchant in their utility slots as soon as I got gear with the slots. I also put them into a guild with an XP boon. During one 2x XP weekend I got all 4 to level 68. I got enough AD and RP to buy and upgrade their weapons to epic, buy and upgrade each a Sellsword companion and have AD left over. By the end of the second week all four were level 70 and had Sharandar and Dread ring unlocked. I even did the free bag quests so they have all of the free bags you can get.

My point is that you could have done the same on your two characters in half the time without even spending a dime in the zen store. With the changes to leveling it is like 2x XP weekends every day. Once you hit level 70 you can then start making tons of AD just by selling drops from epic dungeons and farming explorer's cases from your stronghold. Those are only two ways to make AD without worrying about the new 100k limit. Trust me when I say there are several more ways, and all of them are much more fun than killing the same dragon over and over.

I hope you take this in the spirit it was written. I am not trying to discourage you in any way. Do whatever makes you happy and enjoy the game the way you want to. Please don't give up on posting your ideas to reddit, but be aware if people see something they do not agree with they will respond. This is the internet after all.

Mr.Linux

Post by Mr.Linux » Tue Jun 12, 2018 08:09

No problem, you took time to explain where the AD comes from, all they did was beat me over the head with there is (something) better around the corner at level 70. Typically all PWE MMOs, I have tested for Play on Linux, thus far, seem to "push" players to max level. They all seem to have some similar game mechanics to make it super easy to become a god and grind for no other reason than to feed the endless need to be "better" than god.

I will drop the Reddit conversation, I just didn't see any need to make more 700K Rough AD a week when you can sell stuff in the AH and avoid the BAD and RAD altogether. Thanks!

Burlyfish
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVP

Post by Burlyfish » Wed Jun 13, 2018 17:01

Funny i tend to hang out by dragon spawn areas all the time prefer Rothe Valley. If i am half AFK doing auction house or just waiting for dungeons or groups to form. I have always seen it as a filler for when daily and weekly quests are done. I have slowed down in the last month "Now i know who to blame :D ". On my DC the dragon bone weapon was selling at around 250,000 AD and sold many in the past for that price. But this last month seems either more are farming them or not so many are buying as they have dropped to around 100,000 AD now.

But i see these kind of issues all to often bad advice for new players. When a 18K end game player gives advice to a new player and seems to not take into account they are new and not geared good enough to do half of what they suggest. Not i week goes by that some end game player in the devoted clerics facebook group will give just piss poor advice or diss some new DC that is asking questions. Like they can not realize that new players do not have the AD to buy the best companions and mounts. Or they do not run with premade parties that have group meta to max buffing and because they have to make due with what is best for now or budget builds.

Mr.Linux

Post by Mr.Linux » Sun Jun 17, 2018 15:27

Thanks Burlyfish, as I am just here debugging some graphics issues for the Play on Linux development, I fully realize there is certain unknowns to me. I was over in Neverdeath and the dragon has a large fight at low level. My focus isn't really on "end game", but when the dragon dropped a weapon on me I sold it. I then wondered why more players were not just farming the weapons so I kept track of what I made. My advice for a new player would be to play the game as intended but be sure to get the dragon a few times each and every day. The AD isn't bad for someone fresh in the game. Next month I have to switch venues and find out why the Play on Mac people have transparent skulls on Star Trek. Our software works great on most any other game, why does Cryptic have to be so troublesome?