Updating the Ratings Simulator gear?

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
Eugee
Favorite Class: Oathbound Paladin
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Updating the Ratings Simulator gear?

Post by Eugee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 15:52

I'm sure the Ratings Simulator will eventually get updated with Ravenloft, and I'm happy to wait for that. I'm posting this to ask is this something the community could help with? I have a lot of spare time, and would be happy to input equipment from Ravenloft if that was an option. I'm able to just do Custom Gear to plan out my character right now, but there are a few pieces (like companion +5 gear in companion specific slots like Talisman) that I am unable to add.

I'd love to help out as I use the Character Manager like crazy.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Re: Updating the Ratings Simulator gear?

Post by j0Shi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 23:57

Short answer: It's too complicated.

Long answer: The problem is that the way I originally designed the database wasn't the smartest choice. Tooltips and item info are two separate dbs. It would be MUCH easier if there was only one database with all item data and then a script would generate tooltips out of that data. That's what the game does and if we had that system, it would obviously allow users to simply input item data (item level, name, stats, flavor text, weapon damage, etc., whatnot).

Since that's not the case however, the tooltip has to be done manually (like on the Curse wiki) on top of adding all the item data. For the community to help I would need to code and maintain an editor that fully allows to create tooltips and items. I have such an editor as admin function, but that one is based on the fact that I parse tooltips out of the game's memory with a third party tool and add them to the database. Redoing the whole system is on my list of long-term goals, but for single modules it's probably still better if I just do all the tooltips and items myself instead of coding an intelligent editor to creator tooltips and items or redoing the database structure and add a function that takes care of tooltips.

It's a mess, but the first version of the tool was based on the fact that you could pull hundreds of items and their tooltips out of the Gateway in seconds. I never anticipated that the Gateway could get closed eventually.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 00:02

This is how setting up items looks in the admin area. You have to actually edit HTML code for the tooltips.
chrome_2018-07-13_02-00-48.png
chrome_2018-07-13_02-00-48.png (92.22 KiB) Viewed 176 times
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

Eugee
Favorite Class: Oathbound Paladin

Post by Eugee » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:27

Okay, I understand. Well I'm sure there are a ton of us that would be willing to help! This just makes me appreciate even more all the work that goes into it!

PutzBoy78
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric

Post by PutzBoy78 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 17:37

could we crowd source it by listing info in a format you could dump into a csv then use formulas to wrap the data in the html?