PC GF Tank Build Advice

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
Shadowblade
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

GF Tank Build Advice

Post by Shadowblade » Tue Jul 24, 2018 09:13

I dusted off my Halfling SM Guardian and made her a Full Turtle Total Tank Protector hybrid in her 2nd load out. She's about 12.3k and I want to do RAQs with her. All her Boons and Insignia are defensive, but she only has Boons up to the end of Mod 5 and Underdark.

So what do you think is the best Armour enchant for her for FBI, MSP, Svadborg Master etc??

I can make a Trans Eclipse for 25% Deflection

Should I make a Pure Shadowclad, so she does not go invisible when she Deflects?

I already have:
Trans Barkshield
Trans Negation
Trans Shadowclad (shame she'll turn invisible and lose aggro & threat)
Trans Soulforged
Trans Elven Battle

A few others like Briartwine, Thunderhead and so on, which I think are not much cop for Defence.

Also, what about Trans Weapon Enchants, as she is a Tank and wants to hold aggro and threat and use Knight's Valor? She won't have the Crit to make Trans Vorpal worthwhile.

Holy Avenger
Terror
Plague Fire
Frost
Lightning
Feytouched
Lifedrinker

What would be the best as a pure Tank and for buffing the party or debuffing Bosses?

Cheers!

:)
:shock:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a HAMSTER! man in possession of a good HAMSTER!, must be in want of a QUACK!"
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen (1775–1817)

Good to see forum censorship never makes things look worse then they actually were to start with.

:roll:

dupeks

Re: GF Tank Build Advice

Post by dupeks » Tue Jul 24, 2018 16:20

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neve ... we-ride/p1
See above for solid guide to GF tanking.

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade » Tue Jul 24, 2018 23:50

Cheers, dupeks, I'll check it out

I completed my first MSP this morning, and with no DC! There was a 10.8k Devo OP, so maybe I could not see his SH boons, as it's supposed to be 11k to get in. The rest of use were 11 to 13 k, TR 15k.

I used the Trans Holy Avenger and Trans Negation.

It was touch and go, as the 15k TR kept charging into the centre of mobs like he thought he was invincible and they were made of porcelain. And he ignored all advice and requests and refused to use any chat channel.

I said we can't mass rush this mob, so what's the strategy (meaning to draw small groups out or something, like Thoon Hulks in Epic Dread Vault). But, no, he charges into the boss again and does his Courage Breaker, while the rest of us watched. Then he called for a vote to abandon! How can someone be so completely unadaptable?

OP: "Strategy? Hit stuff, don't die"

Me: "Twat"

So when the TR DC'd, the rest of the party kicked him before I had a chance to vote. The new 14k GWF did over 1 billion damage! From half-way through! I was bottom with 20 million, but that tells me I did my job at least partly right.

After the first mob wipe, GWF says:

GWF: SW, Pillar. Next to boss. Don't make me run for the buff. Every time.
SW: OK
GWF: OP, Courage and Wisdom. Always. If you are only OP.
OP: OK
GWF: HR. Archer? No hope for you. You might as well be on another map.

He had no advice for me, so I was delighted!

So all the buffs properly combined on him and he was awesome!

And I could Shield Stab/Agg Strike and keep threat and use zero Stamina.

THAT is what makes this game so great. Someone who knows telling a bunch of Nubs and Scrubs what they are doing wrong and how to do it right. And we LISTEN to him.

We'd never have done it without him!

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a HAMSTER! man in possession of a good HAMSTER!, must be in want of a QUACK!"

Good to see forum censorship never makes things look worse then they actually were to start with.

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade » Wed Jul 25, 2018 02:44

I checked out that guide and I've actually seen it before. Unfortunately, it's a Tactician/Conqueror.

She was originally Tactician/Protector Hybrid. Now she's Conqueror/Protector in load out 1 and Protector/Tactician in load out 2.

But it has been updated since I last downloaded it, so well worth a full read.

Even more unfortunately, @rjc9000 does not seem to say what he thinks the best weapon and armour enchants are for his build, and recommends to use what you want! I do have most of them, though.

But the interesting thing as that as I rolled the Halfling GF in Mod 2, I was not into min-Maxing at that time, and as she will be horribly murdered and resurrected as a Fugly Goblin, I won't ever race re-roll her to change her starting stats.

But I won't need to, anyway!

With her Seldarine set, Elixir of Fate and Campfire bonus she has:

Code: Select all

STR  14    18
CON  15+2  28
DEX  13+2  26
INT  12    16
WIS  12    16
CHA  11    15
So I could follow the guide exactly if I wanted to!

I have a full Valhalla set in the bank (BtA Horn). Not decided who to use it with yet. My Dwarf IV has Lostmauth, and it's really crap for Tanking, and not all that for dps these days.

If I was rolling her today, I would have probably picked:

Code: Select all

STR  15
CON  15
DEX  13+2
INT  10
WIS  11
CHA  12+2
and gone for a STR/CHA Conqueror dps build and a CON/DEX Protector tank build.

Cheers!

Nyriel
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Post by Nyriel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 16:05

Hi shadow.I am no expert but i can give you an advice if you want to:
First of all why you want to go prot?
You can do a fine tact tank ,or you can explore other options.
Anyway,i ll answer to your questions ,according to my opinion:

Best weapon enxhant=fey
Best armor enchant=sf or frostburn

A healing arti,maybe you can level that valhala set if it is bound,otherwise go for a ap gain neck,con /misc belt for the ap gain.

Forget deflect,go for defense and then for LS.
As for your other question about spesialization feat, it is shown DR x 1.15
so to have 95% you need around 82%? sorry i dont use a calculator now i just speak out of my head.

As for insignia Prot camaderie,gladiator guile,champion return,victim preservation, and mayber shepherd devotion or a second gladiator guile or the lesser prot friendship.

You will reach the 95% DR cap easily so dont go upgrading full defense comps (def def def) you will shot your feet.Try a hybrid companion def def off.
These..idk if i answerd al your questions..good luck!!

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade » Wed Aug 08, 2018 17:17

Cheers, Nyriel!

I wiped out my Halfling's 100k 50% Invoking AD Bonus from farming Seals, so I am back on the Dwarf again for a while as he still needs the last Boon from WoD and gets more AD from Randoms.

why you want to go prot?
I went Protector in the Halfling's 2nd load out because they were both getting 1-shotted through their Shield in FBI and MSP RAQs. RIQs they are fine as Conqueror, but it's a little humiliating to be a Full Primal Tank with Rank 12 enchants and dying at the first Mob!

But it could also be inexperience and my shield dropping, or me trying to use a non-Guarded attack or Encounter just as the Big Boys swipe me.

They can both do MSP fine once past the first big bunch of Mobs, but FBI and Svardborg can be a bit of a problem. The "Together We Ride!" guide confirmed for me that the Shield does not apply to rear attacks (unlike OP Sanctuary) and it's hard to not get surrounded. But it DOES mean I can kill Dragonwings in WoD with their shield up by going round the back!

I just upgraded some rank 11 Brutal to rank 12, so as well as stacking in inventory to save space (YAY! new Refining system!) I can use them for hp and DEF in DEF slots. I could use them in OFF slots for the Dwarf and use Cruel 12 for the Halfling.

But it looks like I will end up with 2 sets of BtA gear for dps and Tank. I did this for ages with AC DC Power, Recovery, APG, WIS/CHA and DO DC Power, Crit, STR/WIS. But I am enjoying GF atm.

Best weapon enchant=fey
Someone told me this a while back. I used to use Trans Frost, then Trans Lightning, then Trans Feytouched. But I went back to Lightning again, which I recently got to Unparalleled. It's great on GWF as even Daring Shout does damage, and I figured the AoE from Enforced Threat and the Arcs would help drawing aggro. Not tested with ACT, though.

Best armor enchant=sf or frostburn
Interesting. Ironically, it's one of the few I don't have! I have a Soulforged, but using Trans Negation atm.

otherwise go for a ap gain neck,con /misc belt for the ap gain.
Yes, I kind of miss the APG, but Seldarine gives me +8 AC for +4% damage resistance instead. I also have a Tiefling GF, CHA/INT+2 with a STR belt, no neck yet. I was going to get the Stronghold STR/INT cloak, but not sure how powerful she'd be in RAQs without an artifact set bonus. Ironically, she'd probably make the best Tactician!

idk if i answerd al your questions..good luck!!

Thanks for the tips!

Nyriel

Post by Nyriel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 14:49

Hey Shadow o/

Prot,Tact or Conq ,technically make small difference ,as long as you are in 95% DR.
I am tank SM Conq since Mod3 you can make a Conq tank if you want to,you will be fine.

In FBI you need to avoid the red giants circle aoes ,they are buggy and they can oneshot you,shiel up or down.Just get out of the aoe.GGuile helps there.
In mSP the first mob,the first fire aoe was (is?) bugged and can oneshot you,nothing to do with build.Avoid it.
In order not to get surrounded,have wide FOV,as you play a DC you know the stuff,back up when you see they swarm you.Shield has 270 degrees coverage ,as long you have the mobs up to your side ,you will be fine.

Steel Defense can help,even if all the other GFs are against it,i am for it,it can help.Shield defense,big AP gain,Villain'sMenace and you can control the battle and the mobs.Immunity ,itf,turtle,Aggr Strike,VM,immunity ,attack, etc etc...

As for enchants,i also recommend at least while you are relatively low IL to use single stat enchants.Azures and darks in def slots and ignore the guides about double and triple stat enchants.later idk ,you have choises,but early on,single stat enchants are best buck for the money.

Tip:Do the barovia hunts with your dc and use cards,The caches you win,e mail them to your Gf.when he opens them he will get Gf gear.There incredibly tanky armors like the Tempter and the Dojon.especially Dojon is nearly Bis for pure tank.So dont worry for gear.

Fey has a 20% damage debuff ,permanent and it is a must for enchant :/ .it is bound and leaps better for a tank than any other enchant ,only poor BronzeWood comes far back to the distance,so you nust aquire a T fey,it will help ALOT.

Soulforged with a healing arty is a second life,and that-my opinion - is unchallenged in utility for any tank char.

Negation loses its value as long as you have 95% Dr and the extra rec is not a must,since the Dc or the OP will shorten your encounter ICDs.
Frostburn is good if you are a secondary tank or buffer.It offers a questionable debuff,still better than the rest ones.

Seldarine is fine but it is outgunned by LS .Life Steal wioth current meta will outrun Selds utility.On the other hand there are few sources of direct AP gain,and for a GF con belts offer that.

With 95% Dr ,25%+ LS and 8% stamina gain plus all stamina boons,you will be fine.Combat Superiority ,Steel Defense ,Vm daily.ET/ITF/KV and you are good to go \o/

gl :)

edit : i dont want to show up as teaching or whatever i dont claim the supreme knowledge to any of what i wrotte,just my opinion.i know some thing s i said differ from the rest ,just my opinion that is :/ .Gl again :)

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade » Thu Aug 09, 2018 23:11

Cheers, Nyriel, I appreciate the tips. Very interesting about bugged mobs!

I still have a Trans Feytouched, so it's no problem to go back. I have the Seldarine set on the Halfling and Lostmauth on the Dwarf, but I use DC Sigil as the in-use artifact at the moment. I do have other drops in the bank, like a few Soul Sight, Wheel of the Elements, Chromatic Storm etc, but as I've been an alt-aholic since Mod 8 I can't decide which character to use them on. Because I can't decide what to main. They are all fun!

The stupid thing was that a long time back, I think I fed both their Lanterns to the Red Dragon Heart! That was before the Lantern buff became a thing in Tiamat and Dragon runs!

DOH!

I'm realising again why maxing CON is not such a great thing on GF. It's +5% APG, but that +20% base hp is like just a few thousand and almost negligible. They have to fix that. OP is way more tanky without even trying, has a 360º shield and it's heals as well!

Cheers!

berserk Aries

Post by berserk Aries » Mon Aug 13, 2018 08:15

for full tank GF i like to use bronzewood, it give you less dmg and push the dmg from allies

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade » Sat Aug 25, 2018 16:37

Bronzewood would be interesting to try, if it were easier to get.

But what Armour enchant do you use?